A skilled, educated workforce is an essential component of a strong and growing local economy. LaGrange Economic Development helps city leaders support workforce development by connecting economic development efforts with workforce development, working with the business community to identify talent needs, and convening stakeholders to align disparate activities toward a common goal.
Workforce Development Programs
Troup County cares about the future of its economy and its up-and-coming workforce. Leaders in both private and public sectors invest valuable resources in education so that our youth learn about and take advantage of academic and career opportunities after high school.Currently, Troup County high schools offer 33 Career, Technical and Agricultural Education (CTAE) Pathways, with about 80 percent of high school students enrolled in at least one pathway. Additionally, Troup County Schools strategically partner with business and industry to provide two specialized programs for high school students.
Career Focus Days
Career Focus Days occur one of the month and highlight a specific industry such as advanced manufacturing, STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math), small business, education or healthcare. Tenth grade students who have been identified for their interest in the highlighted industry are bussed from their home school to the LaGrange-Troup County Chamber of Commerce where they spend the morning learning about education and career opportunities specific to that industry. During the afternoon, students tour a business or industry facility and meet with people on-the-job. Career Focus Days are sponsored by the LaGrange-Troup County Chamber of Commerce and brought to students in partnership with local employers and the Troup County School System.
High School Senior Seminar
he Troup County Schools Senior Seminar is an all-day employability workshop designed for high school seniors who plan to enter the workforce immediately after graduation. Students participate in interactive workshops that take them through the process of finding a job to managing money once they are collecting a paycheck. Local leaders in business and industry present the work sessions and assist with resume writing and mock interviews. The annual seminar is sponsored by the LaGrange-Troup County Chamber of Commerce and the West Georgia LaGrange-Employer Committee and is presented in partnership with the Workforce Development Committee of the Troup County Center for Strategic Planning, and West Georgia Technical College.
HYPE is a young professionals’ organization that stands for “helping young professionals engage.” HYPE provides young professionals with opportunities to network, learn, volunteer, and mingle in social circles that share and appreciate the many benefits of connecting with the community. HYPE members range in age from 23 to 45 and are from a wide-variety of industries and occupations.
Benefits to businesses include:
- Impress Candidates - show off corporate specialties and city amenities
- Position Competitively - welcome young talent to your company
- Ease Relocation - help new recruits build an energetic network
- Save Recruiting Costs - capitalize on network referrals
- Help Talent Grow Roots - build relationships that deepen a sense of belonging
- Boost Employee Effectiveness - create a workplace where people are satisfied, motivated and productive
- Increase Influence - leverage HYPE networks to build your business
- Manage Intelligently - serve the needs of different generations and plan for succession
For more than 40 years, Quick Start has provided customized workforce training free-of-charge to qualified businesses in Georgia. Today, the program is one of the state’s key assets for supporting new and expanding industries. Quick Start delivers training in classrooms, mobile labs or directly on the plant floor, wherever it works best for a company. To ensure that all economic development personnel are prepared with the latest skills and strategies for workforce training, Quick Start also administers an ongoing program for professional development, the Certified Economic Developer Trainer program.
For more information:
Quick Start - LaGrange
220 Fort Drive
LaGrange, GA 30240
+706 757 6130
Troup Trained is a fast-track, advanced training program aimed at helping unemployed Troup County citizens get back to work. The curriculum, designed in partnership with local employers, focuses largely on soft skills development and includes a general industry overview. Employers who recognize the Troup Trained certificate guarantee graduates an interview once they successfully complete the program. Troup Trained is free to both participants and employers. Since the program’s start in 2009, 2 classes have graduated with about a 75% success rate for graduates finding and maintaining employment.
- High School diploma or GED
- Reading and math assessment
- Skills assessment
- Pass a drug and background screening
- Attend and be on time for all classes
Employer Benefits to Recognizing Troup Trained:
- Preferred access to pre-qualified applicants with demonstrated work ethic
- Potential funding for On-the-Job training
Troup County Works
Troup County Works is a website developed with funding from local governments and a grant from the Governor’s office of Workforce Development. Although federal and state programs are available to assist businesses and individuals with employment, Troup County Works was created exclusively for Troup County residents and businesses to give them a free, added resource.
- Search local jobs by employer
- Receive regular emails on new job openings (no other website does this)
- Receive regular emails about job fairs and other career development opportunities
- Connect with education websites to further develop job skills
- Access to a variety of job search tips
- Local assistance with the website and job search strategies is available by email or telephone
- Post jobs for free
- Opportunity to sent email notices highlighting new job postings
- Post job fair events with email notices to website individuals
To view the site, please login to troupcountyworks.com